Deborah S. Shea
- New York State Certified Assessor
- Tel: 845-887-4286
- The Assessor is responsible for setting the valuation of all real property in the Town and administering the assessment procedures in the Town. She assesses property when a building permit is issued on improvements and additions; maintains property tax exemptions for senior citizens, veterans, clergy, agricultural, volunteer firefighter/ambulance workers, nonprofit organizations; handles property ownership transfers, splitting and merging of properties through filed maps.
IMPORTANT DATES IN THE ASSESSMENT CYCLE
- Preceeding July 1st: Valuation Date
- March 1st: Taxable Status Date (deadline for filing exemption applications)
- May 1st: Tentative Assessment Roll filed
- Fourth Wednesday in May: Grievance Day
- July 1st: Final Assessment Roll filed (the assessed value for each property on the final roll is used for tax purposes for the next year)
- September 1st: School Tax Bills mailed
- January 1st: Town and County Tax Bills mailed
You can register for the STAR exemption online through www.tax.ny.gov. You'll need to:
- provide a STAR code (we're mailing codes to all Basic STAR recipients; or you can use the STAR code lookup)
- provide the names and social security numbers for all owners of the property and spouses
- confirm that the property is the primary residence of one of its owners (married couples with multiple residences may only claim one STAR exemption)
- confirm that the combined income of the owners and their spouses who reside at the property does not exceed $500,000
- confirm that no resident owner received a residency-based tax benefit from another state
BASIC STAR The Basic STAR exemption is available to those homeowners who make the Town of Fremont their primary residence, regardless of age, but whose income (generally, Gross Income less IRA Distributins) is less than $500,000. Basic STAR requires an initial application but does not require annual renewals, with the exception of the current refiling process that took place in 2013.
ENHANCED STAR If you are over 65 years of age, with income (generally, Gross Income less IRA Distributions) less than $81,900, you may qualify for the Enhanced STAR exemption. Proof of age and income are required.
Enhanced STAR requires renewal each year. You have two options to renew your Enhanced STAR exemption:
- You may continue to provide tax returns with your renewal application to our office each year; or
- You may choose to participate in the Income Verification Program (IVP). By participating in this program, you authorize the NYS Department of Taxation and Finance to verify your income each year and to notify the Assessors of your eligibility to continue receiving Enhanced STAR.
STAR application forms may be obtained by contacting the Assessor or by downloading the form at the following website: http://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/orpts/star.htm
- The 2016 Final Assessment Roll is available for your review. 2016_Fremont_Final.pdf
- The 2016 Tentative Assessment Roll is available for your review. Fremont_2016_Tent.pdf
- The 2015 Final Assessment Roll is available for your review. 2015_Fremont_Final.pdf
- The 2014 Final Assessment Roll is available for your review. Fremont_2014_Final.pdf
- The 2013 Final Assessment Roll is available for your review. Fremont_2013_Final.pdf
- The 2012 Final Assessment Roll is available for your review. Fremont_2012_Final.pdf
- Property assessment information is available from the Assessor and the Sullivan County website: http://www.co.sullivan.ny.us by going to Real Property Tax Services and selecting Property Assessment Data
- Tax Maps are available for download and viewing from the Sullivan County Real Property Tax Services website
- You may lookup tax bill information by going to the following website:http://www.taxlookup.net